Feb 12, 2006

GWB and Philosophy

I have been feeling that my my blogs were becoming a bit too pedestrian (definition #3 for those of you building word bank for Ms. Evan's class), so I have decided to do a fairly regular series analyzing our current President and his administration. I have been quite honest with my classes in stating that GWB was not my first choice in 2000, but that I have warmed to them since that time.
So with that in mind, I take on the above topic. A few months back I read Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box edited by Eric Bronson. This book, which is part of the Popular Culture and Philosophy Series is written in a way that allows the baseball to gain a better understanding of Philosophy as they read about baseball, or the Philosopher to better understand Baseball as he reads about Philosophy.
Last evening, I was reading an article calledThe Freedom Crusade Revisited, by Leslie H. Gelb, Daniel Pipes, Robert W Merry, and Joseph S. Nye, Jr., in The National Interest, when I was struck by this quote from Robert W. Merry (I earlier mistakely attributed this quote to Joseph S. Nye Jr.)...

"And there it was: utopia. The word popped off the page like the smart crack of a whip. We have a president whose view of the world is distinctly utopian. As Hendrickson and Tucker point out, not even Woodrow Wilson was willing to expand his dreamy desires to salve the hurts and wounds of humanity into a hegemonic vision of the kind that drives this president. That's because not even Woodrow Wilson was willing to venture so boldly beyond this side of utopia."

Utopian? I don't know if that is the term that first comes to mind when I think of GWB, but then Mr. Nye continued...
"Where, we might ask, did Bush get this utopian vision? After all, he is a president who embraces the conservative label. And, as Samuel Huntington of Harvard University wrote a half-century ago, "No political philosopher has ever described a conservative utopia." Bush of course is no political philosopher. But neither is he a true conservative. He is simply a product of his time, a child of the zeitgeist that descended upon America at the end of the Cold War."

Okay...is there a cooler word then zeitgeist? .... but I digress. The Western Utopian worldview is usually ascribed to Hegelianism, but can GWB fairly be called Hegelian?
I invite you to seriously consider this topic, and give examples, both positive and negative that support your point of view on this topic. I do ask that we keep any discussion polite, and know that I will delete any comments that use profanity, or which simply provide a litany of Anti-Bush talking points. If you feel that GWB's philosophy is akin to that of Nietzsche, fine, but provide both anecdotal evidence and intellectual reasoning to back up such a claim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Hit Counter